I had to submit LIC premium paid receipts with my employer by December. One of the premium I could pay only on February and this was not considered for the last financial years' tax deduction calculation. Now I got to file returns and would like to do it myself in the income tax website. How to claim returns for the same.

Thank you.


Assuming you are filling in ITR-1 using Income Tax department website, fill in the details in B4 under section 80C.

As this would not match with TRACES Form-16 issued by Employer, there maybe a query at which point in time you would need to furnish the details.

In future it is advisable to pay the premium early and submit to your Employer.

  • With LIC I'm allowed to pay only before 30 days. So for the month of Feb I couldn't pay by Dec. – itsraja Jul 7 '16 at 13:11
  • If I add the extra amount in 80C, no proof is asked for and the calculated amount is shown in refundable. No provision for uploading proof. Shall I file the returns without proof. – itsraja Jul 8 '16 at 7:25
  • @itsraja Yes that is right. There is no proof requested. However when IT Returns get processed, at times there can be a query from IT department. You have to keep the proof hand and submit it then. – Dheer Jul 8 '16 at 8:54
  • This is what I've always done. I have always got a refund quite promptly , without any query from the IT dept. – Devdatta Tengshe Jul 11 '16 at 8:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.