My sister has a bank account--and a passbook as proof of that bank account, in China. She opened that bank account as a Chinese citizen with a Chinese ID, and it currently has approximately $35, 000 in it. She became a Canadian citizen, and her Chinese citizenship was revoked (permanently taken away from her involuntarily).

Her Chinese ID had expired, and when I asked the bank whether she could use the expired ID when withdrawing cash, the bank said no. When I said that the accountholder is now a citizen of a foreign country and has a foreign passport, their call center agents responded that they don't know if she would be allowed to withdraw the money. What could/should she do in order to be able to get the money? She is in Canada and it is obviously not a good idea to just go to China without assurances from the bank that the money can be taken out of the account without the assistance of lawyers.

Note: this account cannot be accessed by any electronic means including internet or telephone banking, and the cash can only be withdrawn or transferred if the accountholder goes to a branch of the bank in China (presumably with all the proper IDs).

(Having your citizenship taken away makes simple things infinitely harder to do)

  • 1
    While this is a lousy situation, this appears to be a legal question rather than one on personal finance. I am not voting to close, though, because if this sort of thing is commonplace, I think that moves this to on-topic for this site. Jun 26 '16 at 22:29
  • But this is a simple transaction! My sister is not dead--and never married anyone anywhere. Jun 26 '16 at 22:35
  • 1
    @ChrisInEdmonton I think its still finance as its more about regulations on withdrawals, Foreign Currency Management, etc and less of legal. There are quite a few similar question for other Jurisdictions like India, Bangladesh etc.
    – Dheer
    Jun 27 '16 at 5:55
  • This question is resolved. My sister obtained a Chinese ID illegally by failing to disclose her Canadian citizenship, and all of the money is either withdrawn as cash and brought back to Canada, or wire transferred out (for a very high, 2% transfer fee). Jul 27 '19 at 7:51

China follows a policy to administer withdrawal of Foreign Exchange. One would need to review the relevant rules and regulations and complete the formalities required. At a broad level there is restriction of transferring more than USD 50K per year.

More about the rules can be found on SAFE.

  • This doesn't answer the passport/nationality question.
    – Cœur
    Jan 30 '19 at 15:17
  • @Cœur The issue is not of passport or ID. China has restrictions on FX irrespective of citizenship. There are formalities to be completed
    – Dheer
    Jan 30 '19 at 16:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.