I have worked from Jan to July 2015 in the UK and from Oct. to Dec. 2015 in Germany. I'm not sure if it makes sense for me to submit a tax return claim. (The tax year in the UK runs from April to April; in Germany - from January to January).

My main concern is that in the UK I was paying 20% in taxes from my brutto (all taxes together amounted to 20%). Whilst in Germany it's 40%. Thus, I'm afraid that by submitting such a claim in hope to get a couple of 100' EUR back (since I was out of work for 2,5 months, not claiming any unemployment money) I may actually myself owe to the state, since I would be submitting the claim in Germany where I would have paid twice as many taxes had I worked in Germany from the beginning of the year.

Are my concerns justifiable?

  • I think you have little choice - if you are required to file a country, you are legally required, it's not your choosing. And if you are not required to, you probably paid more than you have to, and just forfeit the reimbursement by not filing. – Aganju Jun 27 '16 at 0:22
  • Under some circumstances it is optional to submit a tax return - often when you have earned below some threshold of income, or resided less than some minimum time in a country. It might well be optional for a few months in Germany, but I don't know. – DJClayworth Jun 28 '16 at 0:11
  • Yes, it is optional for me. But since I don't know if I'm entitled to a tax return or not, I'm afraid to get into a situation where "after investigating my circumstances" the Germans conclude that I've paid too little rather than too much! – Lola Jun 28 '16 at 6:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.