While studying in the US, I'm going to do some computer based work for a company outside of the US. Will this be considered work in the US?

  • Not a lawyer. This is the wrong site to ask. Yes, it counts as work. I wanted to do that myself - ended up going through the whole visa process. – Ramon Snir Jun 18 '16 at 7:03
  • You're right. Thanks for the comment. You know of the right site? – aaa Jun 18 '16 at 13:26
  • 1
    Many student visas only allow restricted work (if any at all). You should check at your university's international student office. – mkennedy Jun 18 '16 at 22:31
  • 1
    the simple answer is "yes, of course obviously it's work". (What difference could it possibly make that you also happen to be studying?) It's extremely likely your visa does NOT permit this. This would be a question for the expats site. – Fattie Jun 19 '16 at 1:15
  • 2
    I agree that ExPats might be a better place for this question, since it is directly linked to visa status. – keshlam Jul 19 '16 at 3:37

Yes, this will be considered work in the US. Your income will be taxable by the US as US-sourced income. From immigration law perspective, you need to be in a status that allows employment.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.