I.e., $100 decreased by 20% requires an increase of (1/(1-0.2))-1) to return to $100. Is there a simple name that refers to this?

  • 1
    Is this about leveraged ETFs? :) – user296 Mar 1 '11 at 6:43

Well, in math terms, it's the reciprocal. A 20% drop (80% of original value) needs a 25% increase to break even. .8 and 1.25 are reciprocals.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.