After more than 183 days within the US territory, I would like to change my W-4 to fit my current situation: working in the US with a H-1B visa, that is, resident alien, and my spouse has the H-4, lives here with me in the US and does not work (she is my dependant). No children.

Can anyone explain how many allowances can I clain and what should I put on my W-4?


If you follow the worksheet, then:

  • 1 for yourself
  • 1 since You are married, have only one job, and your spouse does not work
  • 1 for your spouse

for a total of 3.

  • Thanks for your comments. Can you please specify how can I know that this is true? is the any website I can use to get that number? – Didac Perez Parera Jun 12 '16 at 21:41
  • 1
    @DídacPérezParera: I'm not sure what you mean. All this is from the worksheet on the front of the W-4 form. – user102008 Jun 13 '16 at 4:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.