I refinanced my primary property to afford ($37,000) the purchase of a home in 2005 for myself, my boyfriend and my newborn son. My boyfriend and I had a verbal financial agreement that he would pay the mortgage plus utilities and I would pay for all costs pertaining to (now) the two children (food, education, clothing, extracurricular activities, vacations etc). Taxes were filed separately as we were never married. He claimed the property on his tax returns as well as 1 dependent child. We separated last August (never married) and now he wants 50% of the equity. Currently, we split the mortgage payment and I continue to pay all expenses for the children.

I would like the equity in the home to be distributed after first receiving the initial 50% of the $37,000 investment and the remainder to be divided equally between the two of them. What's fair and equitable?

  • You need to consult a lawyer immediately. Do that, and good luck. Also, of course it's pointless to mention it after the fact but "had a verbal financial agreement" never do that. As Pete mentions the overwhelming issue is how much money you get going forward in relation to child support. Get a lawyer. – Fattie Jun 2 '16 at 15:11

From what I am understanding it is totally up to you how much to give him. Nothing was in writing and the home is in your name. You are best to consult a lawyer as child support should be in play.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.