What are the rules for Roth IRAs when someone leaves the USA and becomes a resident of another country before the age of 59 1/2?
- Does the Roth IRA account need to be closed and the funds withdrawn upon departure from the USA, or can the account be kept and funds withdrawn after 59 1/2?
- Is there a tax penalty for the Roth IRA when becoming a nonresident?
- Can you still add funds to the Roth IRA when you are a nonresident?
- Does it matter which country you are moving to?
- Does it matter if you are a citizen of the USA or if you are a resident alien of the USA when you leave? Does the type of visa that you have for USA residency matter?