I have a question about a savings account I have with Wells Fargo. I have had the account my whole childhood, and am turning 18 in less than 2 weeks. I am pretty sure it is a "minor by" savings account, because I was not able to withdraw money...I could typically deposit it, but was always told the parent usually had to be present to deposit. I asked my father about taking the money out once I turn 18, and he said I could do it...so I was wondering what I would need then to be able to take the money out??? Do I need an I.D. or anything?

  • 11
    Have you contacted Wells Fargo to ask them?
    – Vicky
    May 20 '16 at 11:37

By law, if the account was a "minor by", also called a "custodian" account, it automatically transfers to you once you reach the age of majority in your state, which I gather from your post is 18. Once you turn 18, all you should need to withdraw money is a state or federal government issued photo-ID, like a drivers license or a military ID, same as you would need for any other bank withdrawal at a teller. Or, an ATM card & PIN if you wanted to use an ATM.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.