I have a small, yet important question about FBAR, the policy regarding the reporting of foreign bank account.

The rule says that I only have to report when the aggregate amount exceeds 10,000 US dollars equivalent at any point of calendar year.

So my question is: Which exchange rate (for the currency) do I need to use? Is it the end-of-year exchange rate for the year 2015, DEC 31? (If I am concerned about the financial activities that have transpired since the beginning of 2015.)

Thanks bunch in advance!


This FBAR document suggests:

enter image description here

which eventually leads to here which has the historical rates here.

  • The first year we had to file a FBAR we had our taxes professionally done (a tax guy, not a storefront operation) and they used the IRS rate. That's what I have done ever since on both the IRS and FBAR forms and neither has squawked about it. – Loren Pechtel Apr 28 '16 at 4:56
  • So, if you hold Canadian dollars worth $9000 US from January to March, and then *close the account*, you'd *still* need to report the account if the CAN$ surged in value for the last few days in December? – DJohnM Apr 28 '16 at 20:45
  • @DJohnM no, that's not what it says. That's an acceptable way to do it, but any verifiable way of making the conversion is ok, too. If there was a large change against you between March and December, you can use any source. I use oanda for my filings with the IRS. – Peter K. Apr 28 '16 at 21:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.