I am a Canadian citizen was a non resident for tax purposes. If I sold stock shares in January 2016 and became officially a Canadian resident again in April 2016 (3 months after selling the stock), would I pay taxes on that capital gain when I file my 2016 taxes in 2017? Or, does the clock only start ticking once I was actually a resident again? Thank you

  • If the CRA agrees that you are non-resident for tax purposes (not a foregone conclusion) I don't see why you would pay any Canadian taxes on income realized while a non-resident- you'd pay taxes wherever you were resident. Commented Apr 27, 2016 at 16:41

1 Answer 1


However, you might have to pay taxes on capital gains if these stocks were acquired during your prior residency.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .