This is a vocabulary question: What English term could be used to represent something that is either a debit or a credit in a transaction (without specifically saying which one it is)?

Something like "ledger entry", but "ledger entry" is too vague.

  • Why would you wish to specifically exclude whether the transaction is a debit or a credit? – quid Apr 26 '16 at 16:31
  • I'm looking for a generic term. Same reason people use the word "Person" instead of always specifying "man" or "woman". – Flavien Apr 26 '16 at 16:34
  • Then I don't follow why "ledger entry" is too vague... – quid Apr 26 '16 at 17:27

From a generic database point of view, we would call them transactions which have a type of debit or credit.

From an accounting point of view, there is this answer on English.SE

| improve this answer | |
  • I would actually consider a transaction a set of several debits and credits (i.e. a transaction is generally a debit plus a credit) – Flavien Apr 26 '16 at 16:35
  • But from a banking point of view a transaction is either a credit or a debit, one item of processing – Marcus D Apr 26 '16 at 16:38
  • True, but from a double-entry accounting point of view, a credit on your bank account is matched with a debit on an expense account (accountrain.com/debit_credit.html). – Flavien Apr 26 '16 at 16:44
  • Ah OK ... wasnt sure what direction your question was aimed at ... sorry database programmer hat on ... ;0 ... dont really have an accounting hat. I've updated my answer a bit – Marcus D Apr 26 '16 at 16:48

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.