This is the first time I have paid taxes in the US. I am doing my best not to make a mistake. Here's the situation:

  • Worked for three weeks in the UK in January 2015. I have paid UK taxes on this income.
  • Moved to US and started working in late January under a J-1 visa.
  • Transferred to H1b visa on October 1.

I am using the H&R Block online form. I am filing as a resident alien. AN advisor at H&R told me I qualify for "dual status" this year, and filing as a resident is probably simpler for me, and will make minimal difference financially. Were they correct in this advice?

My main question is how to declare the income I earned in the UK in the three weeks of January 2015? Do I have to pay taxes on it again? The H&R Block form has a section called "Foreign Wages or Pension Income". This seems appropriate. What exchange rate do I use to declare the income in USD?


I can answer the exchange rate portion: you use the IRS's annual list of average exchange rates.

As for the tax, you need to tell the US government that you paid UK tax on those earnings. Unfortunately, I can't say how you do that using H&R Block. (Or even on normal IRS forms, TBH. I've never dealt with this situation before.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.