I believe my professor called this variant price, but I am not certain. Is there a standard term?

  • I think you're going to need to add more detail to get an answer to this question.
    – user32479
    Commented Apr 16, 2016 at 15:30

2 Answers 2


It is known as the range or the price spread of the stock. You can read more about it here http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/range.asp


Just guessing here… How about Daily Median price?

StockCharts provides a similar value they call VWAP. Which stands for Volume-Weighted Average Price. I believe it is a better 'average' for the day (click on link).

  • Hi Jack, I think that he had a dash, and did not mean for you to think that was a minus sign. I think what he wants is just called intraday range. Thoughts? Commented Apr 16, 2016 at 16:15
  • Interesting idea Joe. The high daily price minus the low daily price would yeald the median price for the day. But the high and the low prices taken as a pair would define the daily range. Still, I believe that the best way to correlate volume with the median price is by using the VWAP. @Brick, please do add detail to clarify. Commented Apr 17, 2016 at 9:44
  • @JoeTaxpayer: It is actually a minus sign I mean. I am finding a term that can express the value of (High Price - Low Price). Actually It is a max high price and min price among the intraday period. Commented Apr 18, 2016 at 1:41
  • To be clear, if a stock traded with low $80 and high $82, you want $2? Commented Apr 18, 2016 at 2:04
  • Insightful question Joe. A median would be (high_value - low_value) + low value. So high_value - low_value would be a range, not any kind of average. What benefit does a range provide? To make comparison to other securities I would think that you would want to divide the range by some kind of average. A security with a high of 82 and low of 80 would have a range of 2. Then we could divide the range by the median to get a 'range quotient' of approx. 2.47%. Commented Apr 18, 2016 at 6:13

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .