I recently parted ways with a startup. I was granted options and now must exercise them. When I exercise them, I will incur the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT).

If the company fails and goes bankrupt, am I able to retrieve the AMT I paid or is it lost? Am I able to use the AMT as a tax credit for the following tax year?

1 Answer 1


This is a tax, not a deposit. So no, you will not get it back.

You will be able to use your AMT credit, under certain conditions, see the instructions to form 8801. Obviously, the actual value of the credit depends on your other items of income, and you may end up never using the whole credit.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .