I'm wondering if travel and lodging expenses are tax deductible in the following situation: I live with my family in city A (in California). I have a full-time job in city B (also in California). The distance between city A and city B is 500 miles.

During the week I rent a room in city B that's very close to the office. Each weekend I fly to city A, see my family, and fly back to city B for work the next week.

The lodging and travel expenses are really adding up! Since these costs are for the explicit purpose of working at my full-time, salaried job, can I deduct them in any way from my taxes?

Any advice is helpful! My accountant is busy with tax season, so I don't want to bother her now.

  • 1
    Actually, you unambiguously live in city B and commute to city A to visit your family. This should make clear why your travel and lodging is not tax-deductible. Mar 30 '16 at 12:19

No, you cannot. Commute to the office is not a deductible expense. Moving from A to B would be deductible, had you moved for the job.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.