Date of entry - 17 Nov 2013
No. of days in India - 231
No. of days in USA - 134

For duration of US stay, I got regular pay with all tax deduction. I did file US tax returns for 2013.

By Indian tax law, I am Indian resident for financial year 2013-2014 (stay more than 180 days). so I have to pay taxes on my global income which include my US salaries on which I already paid taxes.

Question 1 : Am I eligible for double taxes relief law as per DTAA.
Question 2 : If no, can I claim my USA expenses for India tax declaration.

Any immediate help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance


1 Answer 1


Please consult a professional CA.

Am I eligible for double taxes relief law as per DTAA.

As per the DTAA The deduction is only to the extent of Federal Taxes.

The computation would be in 2 parts.

First On India Salary, less of deduction, there is Indian Tax [T1]. 
Add US Income and arrive at Additional Indian Tax on US income [T2]. 
Say the US Federal taxes is [T3].
Arrive at Net Indian Taxes as T4 = T2-T3.
If T4 is negative, then total taxes is T1. Else it is T1+T4 

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.