My current situation:
- I live in UK
- I'll be soon moving to Europe
- I'll be back in UK in approx. 2 years
- I don't own a car at the moment
When in Europe, I'll be needing a car. However, I'm not sure if buying (and if so - a new or a used one) a car is the best option (financially) for me, as I'll be getting rid of the car after 2 years (or maybe I should take it with me and convert it?). I'm considering the following options:
- Buying a new one - The biggest advantage is I know what I buy, the car is new, I probably won't have to care too much about something breaking unexpectedly. On the other hand, after 2 years I assume it'd be worth much much less.
- Buying a used one - Would be cheaper and I probably wouldn't lose so much money selling it after I move out. However, I'm concerned with buying a pig in a poke, especially as I'm no car expert.
- Leasing - no prior experience, not sure what to expect.
What I care for the most is safety and car's reliability, my budget isn't especially tight, but it wouldn't hurt to save some money.
Which option could offer the best trateoff? Or is there any other I haven't thought about?
Disclaimer: I have found similar questions but none of them was about getting a car for a short time. If, however, you find this question a duplicate, please refer me to the original question.