In 2015 Mylan Labs changed their name to Mylan NV after they moved to the Netherlands. Shortly after that I took possession of my stock and placed it with my broker to sell. For my taxes I received two 1099 B forms. Apparently, Mylan NV felt that issuing a stock for a name change constituted a sale. I also received a 1099B from my broker for the actual sale. So far, I've been told that I have to show the first sale as a long term (held the stock for about 20yrs.) and the actual sale as a short term. Isn't there some way to waiver the first sale as just a name change and use a long term sale for the actual sale?


It looks like what you're calling a name change was registered as a merger that resulted in an exchange of stock. If that's the case, then what you've been told is correct. You've got one long-term sale and one short-term sale.

Based a quick read of the Form 8937 that was filed, it looks like there were multiple entities involved in this event, more than one of which existed prior to it.


  • A corporation is legally chartered by the country -- or in US, the state -- where it is nominally located, and that charter can't move, so the only way to change it is a sale/exchange to another, perhaps newly created, corporation. – dave_thompson_085 Mar 21 '16 at 20:39
  • @dave_thompson_085 It's not that simple. Wyoming (as one example) allows for a process called continuance, which is basically transferring a charter from another state/country to WY. "Continuation occurs when an out-of-state or out-of-country entity wishes to transfer its state or country of formation to Wyoming and become a Wyoming entity." soswy.state.wy.us/Business/Continuance_v_Domestication.aspx – user32479 Mar 21 '16 at 22:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.