I filed Form 8606 in my 2013 tax return even though I didn't have a nondeductible IRA (I had a Roth IRA). How do I correct this mistake? I now have to do a conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA and I don't want this counted in the total basis on Form 8606.


To correct a mistake in a past year of US federal taxes (or earlier this year), file a corrected return for that year, using Form 1040X.

This may affect your state or city returns for that year too,; check with the appropriate agencies to get their instructions.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.