In 2011, I invested $30,000 into a restaurant. I was a passive investor. I wrote a personal check from my account to the business entity.

A year later, the restaurant closed and all my money was lost.

Can I deduct that loss somehow in the 2015 tax year? Or is it too late?

  • 1
    Please include your country. – mhoran_psprep Mar 13 '16 at 0:29

You need to give specific dates! In the United States, you have three years to file an amended tax return.


Did the restaurant fail in 2012? If so, that's probably the year to take the loss. If you need to amend your 2012 return, which you filed in 2013, you should have until 2016 to file this. The exact date may be based on when you filed 2012 taxes!

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.