I am United States Citizen.

I lived in Mexico all of 2015, I had a high deductible health plan (HDHP) from a Mexican insurance company all of 2015 as well.

My plan meets United States IRS HDHP requirements to make a 2015 HSA contribution, IF I lived in the United States or at least had a United States insurance provider.

I desire to make a 2015 HSA contribution to an American HSA bank account. Though I have no tax liability, other than self employment taxes, that would benefit from the HSA deduction, I still wish to contribute to my HSA account as it is a tax shelter and I can trade stocks and options (treating my HSA like an IRA).

I cannot find anywhere on the IRS website whether I can make an HSA contribution when my high deductible health plan is with a foreign insurance company.This Mexican insurance company will not provide proof of my HDHP insurance, either 1099-HC, my #SS or otherwise, to the IRS, as is required by United States insurance companies.

  • 1
    Is the HSA account already established? – quid Mar 9 '16 at 23:55
  • Yes the HSA account is already established, but I am not sure that matters... – Brian Ogden Mar 10 '16 at 1:08
  • And the HSA account is with american HSA Bank – Brian Ogden Mar 10 '16 at 1:08
  • 1
    Is your goal to make 2015 contributions in to the HSA account? – quid Mar 10 '16 at 1:20
  • Are you paying US taxes for 2015? If not, why would you want to contribute to an HSA? – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Mar 10 '16 at 2:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.