I do a small amount of tutoring. On my tax returns, I do not want to list it as a business because that makes my returns more complicated than they need to be and makes my tax prep software more expensive.

I do enjoy tutoring, and I don't rely on the income at all, but I don't think I can honestly call it a hobby. On the other hand, it's not much of a business, earning as it does under 1.5K. It's all private, so there's no 1099, neither is their any paper trail at all.

Is there anywhere else on my return I can squeeze this money in? I use TurboTax.

  • 1
    Unfortunately, the income threshold is $400. So if it's more than $400 and you do it primarily to make a profit, you are probably required to report it as self-employment business income. Commented Oct 19, 2018 at 4:07

2 Answers 2


"Miscellaneous income" -- same category used for hobbies.


You can list it as other income reported on line 21 of form 1040.

In TurboTax, enter at:
- Federal Taxes tab (Personal in Home & Business)
- Wages & Income
-“I’ll choose what I work on” Button
Scroll down to:
-Less Common Income
-Misc Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
-The next screen will give you several choices. Choose "Other reportable Income". You will reach a screen where you can type a description of the income and the amount.

Type in the amount of income and categorize as Tutoring.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .