If I am residing in the US but I purchase a secondary vacant property (residence) abroad (India) for my own personal use (not for rent), and pay the property tax to the Govt of India, then do I still have to report it when filing US taxes?

If yes, what forms and what documentation should be provided?

Appreciate your inputs.

  • 1
    Report in what sense?
    – littleadv
    Feb 27 '16 at 6:16
  • Report in the sense of reporting its presence somewhere (some form?) when filing federal income tax. I don't get any income out of it though. But just like with the FinCEN with accounts even less than $10k that have to be reported (even if no tax has to be paid), I thought we may have to report the mere presence of the property somehow. Does that answer your question? Feb 28 '16 at 5:33

The pure existance and ownership of the real estate doesn't matter to the IRS.

What you have to report is

  1. any income from it (rental or otherwise); and
  2. a potential gain from selling it in the future, for that you need to keep documentation on the base = purchase price and all cost you have with it during the time you owe it (that includes the property taxes paid in India, and all repairs, etc.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.