I have box 26 on a NR4, and in box 28 the code "Q". Where do I put these on a 1099DIV?

I am using Turbo Tax, and was told that I need to use a 1099DIV, converting the information on the NR4 to a 1099DIV. I am doing my US 1040. I know that Box 16 (NR4) correlates to box 1B on the 1099, and that box 17 (NR4) correlates to box 6 on the 1099. My problem is there is a small money number in box 26 (NR4), and the code "Q" in box 28, and I don't know what to do with those on the 1099.

I worked for a company in the US that is a privately held Canadian company, hence the NR4. I bought stock in the company, but when I quit working I was required to sell the stock back to the company. It was disbursed as gross income by Canada, and I paid Non-resident taxes on the money. The income code is 09. I don't want to do it wrong. Thank you for asking for more details.

  • 3
    We need more information. Are you working on a Canadian tax form, or a U.S. tax form? Why are you filling out a 1099-DIV? Why did you receive an NR4? – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Feb 26 '16 at 1:00
  • A us tax form. I received the NR4 because I worked for a Canadian company that has US offices; I had stock in the company; when I quit working for the company, I had to sell the stock back to them as it is a privately held company. So, I have the NR4, which shows the codes 09 and "Q". It shows total income disbursed, and the taxes paid to Canada, which I have figured out where they go on the US 1099-DIV. But in Box 26 there is another small amount, and Box 28 has the code "Q". I don't know where to input those on the 1099. – shreker56 Feb 26 '16 at 3:22
  • A Form 1099-DIV is something you receive from the entity that pays the dividend. Why do you think you need to put onto a 1099-DIV at all? It seems like you received rather than paid. – user32479 Feb 26 '16 at 4:48
  • Are you perhaps using software to do your taxes, and you think that you need to enter this NR4 form into the software as if it was a 1099-DIV? – Ben Miller - Remember Monica Feb 26 '16 at 5:35
  • I received money from selling the stock back, but also paid taxes on it to Canada. I am using Turbo Tax. And yes, I was told to enter it as if it were a 1099DIV form, not a NR4. – shreker56 Feb 26 '16 at 16:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.