My husband (on a H-1B visa for 5+ years) and I (on an F1 visa for 2 years) live in the Bay Area. We are planning on buying a house and, as we all know, houses are way too expensive here. My question:

How much money can we receive in the form of gift tax from our parents in India? I read online that there is a limit of $100k which will not be taxed in the USA. Does this mean 100k per head if my husband and I receive gifts from our respective parents?

  • 1
    Since in this other question that you have asked you claim to be on a h1b visa and wanting to send $50K to your parents in India, perhaps you can coordinate with yourself (or your husband) so that the $50K to be sent by your husband to parents in India offsets the $100K that the parents will send the husband to buy a house in the US? That way, only $50K will need to be transferred (from India to US). Commented Feb 24, 2016 at 15:51

1 Answer 1


As much as you want. There's no tax on gifts you receive. Gift tax is on the donor, i.e.: the person giving the gift.

The $100K limit is for reporting. Gifts of $100K or more per year from foreign sources must be disclosed on form 3520 attached to your tax return. But there's no tax. Read more here.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .