I am on a student F-1 visa in the United States, and have invested in a number of U.S. mutual funds through Vanguard. Questions:

  1. Do I count as a non-resident alien OR a resident alien for tax purposes?
  2. If I leave the U.S. after my studies, what are the implications for the tax that will be incurred on my investment, and how would I pay them?



It looks like F visa students are not counted as residents, according to this.

In general, resident status is determined by the substantial presence test:

To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States on at least:

  • 31 days during the current year, and
  • 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

Also, of course, if you had green card you'd be resident too. But F-visa students seem to be exempt.

| improve this answer | |
  • OK, so sounds like I am a non-resident alien. I guess I will stay this way when I leave the country? What would be the tax rate for a non-resident alien? – aplmkt Jan 31 '11 at 9:47
  • This is not true: F1 students are not generally exempt and considered non-resident aliens: After 5 years in the US on F1 visa you are considered resident alien for tax purposes. – divB Mar 23 '18 at 5:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.