I was told by my Bankruptcy attorney that debt discharged is not income due to my being insolvent.

Therefore, did Discover card err in sending a 1099-C Cancellation of Debt form to me that says "debt discharged in bankruptcy" on line 6.

Do I need to get them to send a corrected form 1099-C?

2 Answers 2


No, it's not income. But the 1099-C is sent when the creditor charges off the debt.

When you file your taxes, you need to tell the IRS that the charge-off is not taxable. The most common exceptions are:

  • The debt was discharged in bankruptcy BEFORE the cancellation.
  • You were insolvent when the debt was cancelled. Insolvent has a specific meaning to the government.

If your state has income tax, check on how they handle this scenario.

  • See my answer on the need to file form 982 in order to tell the IRS that it is not taxable.
    – WilliamKF
    Oct 17, 2011 at 14:43

You have to file form 982 as explained on these pages:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.