I am an international student holding an F-1 visa, and I am working part time where I cannot apply for the employer health insurance. I only have international health insurance (bought in the US) and I was informed by the insurance provider that my insurance plan does not meet the Affordable Care Act's Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC) requirements.

Do I need to pay a fine on my next tax return (2016)? Thank you very much.

Update: It is better to buy health insurance from the Marketplace for avoiding penalties if you have stayed in the US for more than 5 years.


If you're not a US tax resident (and on F-1, you're probably not) then the ACA tax provision doesn't apply to you. You need to have the health insurance that is required by the visa conditions.

  • I am not a resident but I have stayed in the US for over 5 years. Does it affect my situation? – Dylan Czenski Feb 10 '16 at 17:20
  • @DylanChen probaby. – littleadv Feb 10 '16 at 17:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .