I am not a USA resident but I've worked the last summer in the USA so now I want to get my state income tax back. I know that the money is coming in form of a check on my name. I need somebody else to cash it for me while still in USA without me being actually there. Is there any formal power of attorney/proxy document that I can make in my country to give it to my friend ?

  • Is the person depositing the check or getting cash?
    – Peter K.
    Jan 31, 2016 at 19:56
  • Will you be getting the check first, or will your friend get the check before you see it?
    – Ben Miller
    Jan 31, 2016 at 21:13
  • Did you have or do you still have a US bank account? Jan 31, 2016 at 22:37
  • The person is getting cash. I'm not going to see the check because I wont be in US. I never had a bank account there. Feb 1, 2016 at 0:20
  • Couldn't you have the check sent to you in your home country?
    – Ben Miller
    Feb 1, 2016 at 3:49

1 Answer 1


It would be better to use a bank account and have the refund deposited directly to it. But you said you never had a bank account, so that may be a problem.

Another option is to have the refund check mailed to you, and you deposit it in your local bank, converting to your home currency (or not, depending on local laws).

Generally, for another person to cash a check made out to you - you need to endorse it first. Physically, on the back of the check. That means you have to see the check.

Specifically with tax refund checks there's much more scrutiny since there's a lot of fraud going on with regards to tax refunds. Thus, I doubt a bank would allow a third party cash a check made out to you, without you actually being present there.

  • So there isn't any legal document that I can get for another person in order for them to be able to act in my name and cash this check ? Feb 1, 2016 at 22:36
  • @ElenaIonescu you can execute a power of attorney - though would likely cost you more in lawyer fees than you'll likely get from the check.
    – iheanyi
    Jul 30, 2017 at 6:04

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .