When filling out a TD1 form, there's a section entitled Tuition, education, and textbook amounts (full time and part time), where it states:

If you are a student enrolled at a university or college, or an educational institution certified by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, and you will pay more than $100 per institution in tuition fees, complete this section. If you are enrolled full time, or if you have a mental or physical disability and are enrolled part time, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $400 for each month that you will be enrolled, plus $65 per month for textbooks. If you are enrolled part time and do not have a mental or physical disability, enter the total of the tuition fees you will pay, plus $120 for each month that you will be enrolled part time, plus $20 per month for textbooks.

I am not currently a student and will not be enrolled for 2011. However, I have a large number of federal and provincial credits carried forward from previous years. Would I be able to claim the number of carried forward credits on this line? It does not say so explicitly. Instead, would it be more appropriate to fill out a T1213 form to get a letter of authority from the tax office?


As far as I know, you cannot claim carried-forward credits in advance with a TD1 form.

  • 1
    Thanks. I'll hold out on an answer for a bit in case someone with some T1213 experience comes along.
    – fideli
    Feb 1 '11 at 22:36

Read this on H & R Block site


  • 1
    welcome to Money.SE. Links with no surrounding context are not encouraged. Over time, they tend to break. Do you mind editing with a summary or excerpt from the linked article? Jul 5 '14 at 13:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.