A question regarding filing tax this year. I am a US green card holder. Until June 2015 I was working in the UK. I was on Work Visa. In June 2015 I immigrated to the US. Since then I work for a company in the US. Now it is time to do my taxes. I was wondering do I need to mention my earning in the UK? If yes, do I need to pay tax on that earning?

Some notes:

  1. I paid all of my tax to the UK (HMRC) when I was there, I don’t owe them any money. So until June 2015 when I left that country I paid all of my taxes there.

  2. I don’t have any assets there; I just have a bank account which has less than 10GBP in it.

  3. I obtained my green card in 2014.

  4. Since June when I left UK I don't have a valid visa anymore.

  5. The tax year in the UK is 6 April to 5 April. In the US it is January to January.

  6. While I was in the UK I didn't have any earning in the US and while I was in the US I had zero earning from UK.

  • 1
    Tax year in UK is 6 April to 5 April the following year. Have suggested an edit. Jan 20, 2016 at 17:13
  • 2
    If you were on PAYE in the UK you might have overpaid there - it's often calculated on the assumption you'll work for a full year rather than just 2-3 months. Might be worth checking your payslips. Not sure what effect this would have on US liability, or whether it'd be reclaimable, though. Jan 24, 2016 at 11:09
  • You can reclaim overpaid tax in the UK.gov.uk/claim-tax-refund/too-much-tax-taken-from-your-pay Oct 10, 2016 at 1:50

1 Answer 1


Yes, you do. Since you've been a green card holder since the beginning of the year - your whole worldwide income for the whole year is taxable in the US.

You can take credit for the taxes paid in the UK (use form 1116) to reduce your US tax liability.

  • so in this case did I needed to file my taxes in 2014 as well? if yes, is that gonna cause me any trouble that I didnt?
    – eric_eri
    Jan 20, 2016 at 17:29
  • @eric_eri64 I don't know if you have to file, but you're definitely a US tax resident for 2014 as well, at least the part of it during which you had your green card.
    – littleadv
    Jan 21, 2016 at 2:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .