I'm buying a car and garaging it until I can fix it. Do I need to have insurance on it to be able to register it (so I won't get fined for not registering it) or can I just register it like that since I won't be driving it for a few months?

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 2
    Legal questions require a country, and may require a state. – mhoran_psprep Jan 17 '16 at 3:21
  • USA colorado elpaso county – user36537 Jan 17 '16 at 3:22
  • 1
    If you're not driving it why do you need to register it until you do start driving it? Regarding insurance, you should insure it if you think it could be stolen before you are able to fix it and drive it. – Victor Jan 17 '16 at 4:00
  • 1
    New cars are not registered until someone buys them, I am sure there are many sitting in car yards for more than 30 days. – Victor Jan 17 '16 at 5:04
  • 4
    you could always call the Colorado DMV..... – michael Jan 17 '16 at 14:17

Mandatory insurance is required for registration. But the requirements are for liability insurance. You may submit affidavit of non-use and will not be required to have insurance (at least that's how I understand it).

Registration is required within 60 days, not 30 (same link as above).

Insurance for the damage or loss to your car - up to you. If you don't care if it gets stolen or burns with your house or gets damaged when a rodent eats through the tires while you're not watching - then don't get insurance. Keep in mind, that if for some reason the breaks fail, the garage door gives in, and the car rolls out on to the street and causes damage/casualties - it will be on you.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • But is insurance mandatory when registering it and it won't roll rodents get killed by my cat plus it needs new tires and if my house burns down it'd be covered because of homeowners insurance. If not then I'm down 400 dollars – user36537 Jan 17 '16 at 7:16
  • 1
    @user36537 I put a link to the DMV page, it doesn't explicitly say that if you sign affidavit of non-use then the insurance is not required, but that is what I understand from how they phrased it. – littleadv Jan 17 '16 at 7:40
  • Does affidavit of non use supplement the registration while the vehicle is being repaired or do you have to do both – user36537 Jan 18 '16 at 4:16
  • @user36537 your question is a bit of a tautology... Yes, it supplements. Which means - yes, you need to do both. – littleadv Jan 18 '16 at 5:12
  • I meant like can you do one or the other haha – user36537 Jan 18 '16 at 6:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.