I will be participating in a temporary (3-month) summer internship in a city that is quite far (over 300 miles) from where I study as a full-time student in graduate school. During the internship I will have to rent a temporary apartment, pay for general travel expenses (train, bus tickets, and food), and keep paying rent for my apartment in the city where I attend school.

My question is, am I eligible to deduct temporary living expenses even though I do not work while a full-time student in my home state? For example, can I deduct rent costs at the temporary job location?

I will be filing my taxes as an independent.

  • How on Earth are you going to justify being a "contractor" when doing an internship? That's such a blatant fraud... – littleadv Jan 6 '16 at 5:35
  • You don't need to be a contractor to qualify for a temporary relocation tax deduction... – DIMMSum Jan 6 '16 at 17:04
  • What did you mean by "filing my taxes as independent" then? And what is the "temporary relocation tax deduction" you're talking about? – littleadv Jan 6 '16 at 17:31
  • I meant that I will not be filing as independent rather than dependent. I guess that was irrelevant. – DIMMSum Jan 8 '16 at 20:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.