I am a citizen of Spain living in Spain. In the past I lived in the US for over 10 yrs. During the time I lived in the US I opened a brokerage account to trade stocks.

Now I have two options:

  1. Claim the Spain-US tax treaty and pay taxes on dividends and capital gains in Spain which are very high or
  2. Be a non-resident alien US Tax payer and pay US taxes on capital gains and dividends.

My question is: What are the tax rates for non-resident alien on dividends and capital gains ?

Thanks for your help


  • 1
    What makes you think that in the case #2 you won't be liable for taxes in Spain? – littleadv Dec 23 '15 at 6:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Browse other questions tagged .