Say I own a couple of units in an apartment complex in India and they were purchased in part by using inheritance (property) and in part by cash (funds from US).

If the units are currently rented out and the annual income from renting is Indian Rupees 150,000 per annum (equivalent to about $3000), do I need to declare this rental income while filing US Federal Taxes (as a US citizen)?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Gnome


Yes, you do. As a US citizen, you're required to declare and pay taxes on all of your income, regardless of what country the property is located in.

  • Thanks! Do you have IRS references (like a web page) for more information? For example, how/where do I declare the additional income? Dec 7 '15 at 0:47
  • 1
    @HappyGnome Read the instructions to form 1040, and specifically its Schedule E.
    – littleadv
    Dec 7 '15 at 4:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.