This year, I did an early withdrawal from an annuity and the financial company withheld 10% for taxes--standard for an annuity in this circumstance. But I'll owe a lot more than that in taxes come April. So, essentially, they didn't withhold as much as I wanted them to withhold.

I was thinking I could correct this by making another withdrawal (say, $500), and before I do this, filling out a W4-P form, specifying that $8000 be withheld. This would cover the tax from the previous withdrawal.

Is this possible? Can I specify a withholding amount ($8000) that is greater than the amount I'm withdrawing?

Related question: can I just fill out the W4-P form without making any withdrawal? Will that cause the firm to set aside $8000 as necessary and pay it to the IRS?

  • Some more of the back story available here.
    – mkennedy
    Nov 25, 2015 at 19:16

1 Answer 1


You can specify, but what are they going to do with it? If they only have your $500 - where's the rest of the $7500 is going to come from?

So it probably won't achieve what you want.

You can use form 1040-ES to pay estimated tax payments to the IRS, or if you're employed - change your withholding with the employer.

  • 1
    For payroll withholding, specifically use box 6 on W-4. Note estimated payments either must be equal over the four approximate quarters set by IRS -- too late for that this year -- or you must file 2210 with schedule AI to show each quarter individually was sufficient, unless you get safe haven for withholding that is sufficient for last year's tax; whereas withholding is treated as consistent over the year and thus timely even if it wasn't actually. Nov 26, 2015 at 10:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.