I recently left a job in the USA year. This year I will have to file a tax return due to the income I earned in the USA. However, if I leave my 401k and HSA untouched in the USA, will I be obliged to file a tax return year after year simply due to their existence? Or would I only be obliged when I begin withdrawing money? Thanks.

  • I don't think so--you have no income, no need to file. Nov 8, 2015 at 21:51
  • 3
    Does this mean that you are no longer a U.S. resident?
    – Ben Miller
    Nov 8, 2015 at 22:26

1 Answer 1


Having 401k or HSA is not income and doesn't trigger filing requirements. Withdrawing from 401k or HSA does. Also, in some States, HSA gains are taxed as investment income, so if you have gains in an HSA and you're a resident of such a State - you'll need to file a State tax return and pay taxes on the gains.

  • You might want to clarify the last sentence - I read it as, "If you have gains in your HSA, even if you don't touch them, you may need to file a State tax return." But it's a bit unclear, just because of the first two sentences.
    – Joe
    Nov 9, 2015 at 15:20
  • You read it exactly right.
    – littleadv
    Nov 9, 2015 at 16:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .