In Feb this year, I registered a C-Corp for administrative purposes only (for things that require a DUNS number, e.g., to get an Apple Enterprise Dev account, etc) and have thus far not passed any money officially through that entity.

As I understand, as long as the C-Corp doesn't have money passing through, I don't have to file taxes for it? Or, if I do, it's just filing 0's.

When would be a definitive point to sign up for a bank account for this c-corp? Should it be only when I'm ready to pass money through it?

If I set up a bank account for a C-Corp that might not have very much money go through it, how much more complicated would taxes such be?

  • How did your company get an Enterprise Dev Account if it never had any money? – Eric Oct 27 '15 at 23:13
  • You can pay using any payment source. DUNS number just requires a registered corporate entity. – ina Oct 28 '15 at 4:20
  • 1
    You should always file tax return for corporations, regardless of activity – littleadv Jul 24 '16 at 8:25

Technically, it's only when you need to pass money through. However consider that the length the account has been open builds history with the financial institution, so I'd open ASAP. Longer history with the bank can help with getting approved for things like business credit lines, business cards, and other perks, though if you're not making money with that business, seek out a bank that does not charge money to have a business account open with them.

  • Most banks require a minimum deposit. If I put in a minimum deposit from my personal account, would I run into tax complications? – ina Oct 28 '15 at 4:20
  • As a side note, Capital One Spark for Business-- capitalone.com/small-business-bank -- offers business accounts with no fees or minimum balances and is pretty light generally on paperwork. – Anaksunaman Oct 28 '15 at 6:37
  • anak - are you a spark user? what do you think? also what's the catch – ina Oct 29 '15 at 1:55
  • @ina - formally, you, wearing your shareholder hat, would make a contribution to capital. The corporation would put that money in the bank. – Pete Becker Nov 27 '15 at 1:49
  • 2
    @ina - there's no income tax to the corporation on capital contributions. I think some states impose taxes based on total capitalization, but that's not common. – Pete Becker Dec 22 '15 at 14:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.