I'm a canadian citizen. I lived and worked in USA for 12-13 years under a VISA (Not a US citizen and not a permanent resident). I've been back to Canada since 2011. I do not own anything in USA. Since in Canada I've been working for a Canadian Company.

When I opened my investment account (2011) they asked me if I had US issued social security number. I said yes, so they asked me to fill in a W9. Was that the right thing to do?

Since I lived and worked legally in USA, I was issued a SSN and I still have the number.

As Heath pointed out bellow I should not have signed a W-9 From. The canadian bank I use, had told me fill in the wrong form. The people that work there do not know the difference between having a SSN and being a US person. After a month of going back and forth, today they told me that I had to fill in a W-8BEN which would apply from 2015 forward, for 2011-2014 they can't do anything...

  • 90% of the time if a government agency asks you to fill in a form its the choice between doing it and a visit from law enforcement. The other 10% is when you want something from them...
    – MD-Tech
    Oct 23 '15 at 13:07
  • Do you actually have a US issued social security number?
    – Peter K.
    Oct 23 '15 at 13:28

No, that was not the right thing to do.

A W-9 is the form used to certify that you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien for U.S. federal tax purposes. You want to fill out a W-8BEN, available on the IRS website. There is a spot on a W-8BEN for you to include your U.S. social security number. A Form W-8 is used to certify that you are NOT a U.S. resident for U.S. federal tax purposes.

  • Thanks @heath. That's what I believe as well. I'm not sure why the bank is insisting that I need to fill in a W9. I'll try to follow up with the thread once I find out more.
    – hba
    Oct 23 '15 at 16:21
  • Thanks - I would be curious to hear If the bank has a reason to do that or if they just don't know what they're doing. Good luck!
    – Heath
    Oct 23 '15 at 16:23
  • 1
    Most likely that specific person at the bank was just clueless. He remembered from his training "no ssn -> w8, yes ssn -> w9" and that's it
    – littleadv
    Oct 24 '15 at 2:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.