I'm an Australia citizen but not a resident. I worked there for ~10 years and have a considerable amount of money in my (compulsory) superannuation account. It's consolidated and relatively low fee, but it's really just dormant money.

I now live and work overseas. Is there any way I can get that money out of the superannuation fund and combine it with my other savings? It's far from ideal for me to have this money locked up in a foreign country, in a foreign denomination.

If not, what are my options?

1 Answer 1


Here are your options.

While you remain an Australian citizen you cannot withdraw super just because you are residing overseas. You could renounce your citizenship - just make sure you have another one to fall back on.

  • Yes, I withdrew my super pre-1999 before the rules changed. Now it's hard to access outside retirement.
    – Peter K.
    Commented Oct 19, 2015 at 0:30
  • 2
    please quote important information from the link, otherwise if the link rots the answer become worthless. Commented Oct 19, 2015 at 0:32
  • link rot has occurred. Link gives 404 error. Commented Dec 24, 2019 at 23:00

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .