As a co-signer on an auto loan, how can I go about obtaining the vehicle if the other person defaults?

Both of our names are on the title as well.

  • 3
    What country and state?
    – Rocky
    Commented Oct 15, 2015 at 21:14
  • Are you currently on the title, or does the title entirely belong to the other person? Commented Oct 15, 2015 at 21:24
  • @ChrisInEdmonton i am on the title
    – Alexis
    Commented Oct 19, 2015 at 1:37
  • @Rocky South Carolina, United States
    – Alexis
    Commented Oct 19, 2015 at 1:39

1 Answer 1


Unfortunately, co-signing the loan does not give you anything like the right to foreclose if the other person stops paying. To do that you would need a separate contract with the car's other owner, which I am presuming you don't have. Without paperwork, these are separate issues.

You need a lawyer. More accurately, you needed a lawyer before you co-signed the loan; there may not be much you can do now.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .