I have an LLC that I set up but at the time it was created, the business did not have any employees (this is for consulting work I am doing). So I now have an EIN for this LLC but during the IRS interview I specifically said there would not be any employees for this company. Now I am planning on hiring my wife as an employee (so that my business qualifies for small group health insurance). Do I need to get a new EIN for my LLC because I now am hiring employees? Or how do I tell the IRS that the old EIN will now have employees?


I called the IRS (click here for IRS contact info) and they said I do not need to get a new EIN. I could have just filed the appropriate employer federal tax return (940/941) and then the filing requirements would have been updated. But while I was on the phone, they just updated the filing requirements for my LLC so I am all good now (I still need to file the correct form and make the correct payments, etc. but I can use this same EIN going forward).

Disclaimer: Don't trust me (or this answer) for tax advice (your situation may be different). The IRS person on the phone was very helpful so I recommend calling them if you are in a similar situation. FYI, I have found calling the IRS to always be very helpful.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.