Say I harvest crop as a hobby on my land, and it's less than an acre. What's the tax on the crop income? In California.


If it's truly hobby, then income goes on line 21 of your form 1040 (miscellaneous income), and expenses go to your Schedule A line 23 (miscellaneous deductions) subject to the 2% AGI threshold. You cannot deduct more expenses than you have income (i.e.: You can't deduct hobby losses).

If it is a profitable operation, you need to familiarize yourself with the Federal Schedule F, and read this information from the CA BOE.

I'd suggest talking to a CA-licensed CPA or EA practicing in California, and familiar with this field.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.