I'm a US citizen residing in Canada.

Can anyone recommend a service I can use to manage a personal investment account (USD) under these circumstances?

I only need to deposit money once, and maybe rebalance my portfolio every 6-12 months, but even that isn't critical.

Vanguard and TDAmeritrade were not able to help me.

  • Do you want to invest in CAD or USD?
    – Peter K.
    Sep 5 '15 at 1:36
  • Why were Vanguard and TDAmeritrade unable to help you?
    – dg99
    Sep 5 '15 at 12:15
  • They just don't do it. Too much legal hassle, I think. Sep 6 '15 at 13:40

I use Interactive Brokers without any trouble. Since I signed up with my Canadian address I believe that I have an account with IB Canada, but I can deposit/withdraw/transfer/trade in many currencies, including USD and CAD, as desired.

  • I wasn't able to open an account as a resident of Canada. In the second part of the account creation process, I got this message: "As a U.S person, you need to declare the U.S as a tax residency." Sep 13 '15 at 2:19
  • Well, it's true, you do have to file U.S. taxes if you are a U.S. person. If you try to avoid it then they are very right in not letting you open an account.
    – Sean W.
    Sep 23 '15 at 2:26
  • Yeah I wasn't sure how to interpret that. I'm not sure what they mean "U.S person". I'm not trying to avoid taxes. I'm a student, and my income is low enough that I don't have to pay US income tax while abroad. I've been operating under the assumption that I'm a resident of Canada (since it is where I am residing most of the time these days...) This whole thing would be a lot simpler if I were a U.S. resident, and it seems like maybe I still am? Sep 24 '15 at 3:33
  • Per the IRS: A U.S. person is "a citizen or resident of the United States". So you are definitely in that category. Your assumption that you are a resident of Canada is likely true, but you are still also (and always) a U.S. person. irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/…
    – Sean W.
    Sep 24 '15 at 12:15

eTrade does allow US citizens who live outside the country to open an investment account, although additional paperwork will be required.

  • I contacted them, and they said: "Kevin M: Unfortunately, we are not able to offer services to non US residents at this time, I regret any disappointment." Sep 10 '15 at 21:21
  • That's odd because their financial policy indicates otherwise Jan 30 '16 at 21:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.