I have a dual citizenship (US and non-US), and I have never lived in the US, nor have I worked in the US, except for 4 non-consecutive months as a counselor in a summer camp.

I work in a multi-national corporation (based in the US), and my stock options are managed in the US. The investment bank there is asking all employees to file a W8-BEN or a W-9.

Am I required to file a W8-BEN or a W-9? On the one hand, I am a US citizen, on the other hand, I don't live or work in the US.


Yes, you do. You also need to file a tax return every year, and if you have more than $50k of total savings you need to declare this every year.


Your employer can require a W8-BEN or W-9 if you are a contractor, and in some special cases. I believe this bank managing your stock options can as well; it's to prove you don't have "foreign status". See the IRS's W-9 instructions for details.

protected by Chris W. Rea Sep 29 '15 at 16:34

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.