I rent out two rooms in my home. Currently we split the utility bill between 3 people, i.e. the utility bill is in my name, and I pay the utilities and then get reimbursed for the other two thirds by my renters/roommates.

What is the best way to deal with this from an income tax perspective? Do I need to report the reimbursement as rental income (in addition to the base per-month rental income I am receiving)? In that case, would I then be able to consider the 2/3 of the utility bill a business expense? Or am I okay handling this in an informal way, without recording the utilities as a business expense, and the reimbursement as income?


It's the same result either way.

Say the bills are $600, and you are reimbursed $400. You'd be able to write off $400 as part of the utilities that are common expenses, but then claim the $400 as income.

I'd stick with that, and have contemporaneous records supporting all cash flow. You also can take 2/3 of any other maintenance costs that most homeowners can't. Like snow removal, lawn care, etc.

  • Thanks JoeTaxpayer, I'll stick with adding the utilities to my rental income and then writing off 2/3 of the utilities. It seems to be the most "correct" way of doing things. – theatraine Sep 1 '15 at 23:35
  • I have friends who have been doing this for a decade. The biggest advantage of having the renter pick up at least one of their own utility bills is that many banks want to see a bill in your name as evidence you reside at that address -- there are workarounds, but this is simpler. But their place was designed to be usable as two-family and the electric was already divided into separate meters and panels. – keshlam Sep 2 '15 at 1:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.