I have this question about the tax filing that I am planning to do in India for year 2013-14.

I worked in India for an Indian company for almost 7 months and I also worked 4 months in the US (as a US resident for US employer) in the same financial year. Following are the details of months that I worked in India and US.

  • 2013 April: 15 days in US and 10 days in India
  • 2013 May to 2013 September worked in India
  • 2013 October and November, I didn’t work but I was in India
  • 2013 December 9th to 2014 March 31, I worked in the US.

Since I have been in India for more than 182 days, I will have to file taxes for all the incomes in India. So, my question is, should I have to consider my US salary also as income ? My US salary was credited to US bank account.

1 Answer 1


For the financial year 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014 as you have stayed more than 182 days in India, you are deemed resident for tax purposes. You Global income would be taxed [it does not matter whether you have transferred the funds to India or not].

India and US have DTAA and you can claim relief to the extent of taxes paid.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .