How much tax will I have to pay on the money I cleared after selling my condo? How do I calculate it?

  • 2
    Country / State? Might depend on the city too, though unlikely. – Matthew Read Dec 14 '10 at 23:45

If you are in the United States, Real Estate gains are taxed as capital gains 15% currently but will go up in 2011.

You may be able to exclude $250,000 filing single (500k married filing jointly) if you have lived in the condo 2 out of the last 5 years. See IRS Publication 523 for more information.

You are only taxed on the profit from the sale. If you paid $100,000 and you sell it for $125,000 you would owe capital gains tax on $25,000 if you don't meet the conditions in IRS Publication 523.

  • "but will go up in 2011." - citation? – JTP - Apologise to Monica Dec 15 '10 at 2:34
  • I linked to the article, click "currently" of course that is subject to change with congress discussing the bill as I write this. – Move More Comments Link To Top Dec 15 '10 at 2:43
  • Capital gains rates are scheduled to go back to 2003 level ~25% but it seems like Congress is likely to pass some type of extension of the Bush era tax cuts which will probably keep capital gains at 15%. – stoj Dec 15 '10 at 13:37
  • Citiation? Pick your poison. google.com/… -- right now the top result is this one, it's reasonably informative. cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20025888-503544.html – user296 Dec 16 '10 at 19:28
  • The cap gain rate was extended, through 2012. The citation linked in this answer reflects this as of 12/18. – JTP - Apologise to Monica Oct 19 '11 at 2:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy