My brother used to have a bank account more than 30 years ago in Seattle where he used to live. Being disable due to a car accident, he is unable to follow up the matter. He lives now in a nursing house in New York State. I learned from an old friend that the money in his account could have been frozen or transferred by the court in Seattle. I should appreciate your advice how to settle this problem.

1 Answer 1


Search the State of Washington website for unclaimed property.

They will tell you everything you need to prove ownership.

Also there is never a charge for this. The third party sites you see want to to pay for a service the state already provides.

Q. Do I have to pay a finder's fee?

An asset locator, fee finder, or heir finder is a person or company who charges a fee for helping owners receive their unclaimed property. The fee is usually a percentage of the money due to the owner.

Under Washington law, a finder may not charge a fee of more than 5% of the property value. Owners and their heirs do not need to pay a finder's fee to anyone to claim funds being held by the State of Washington.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .